Thursday, March 31, 2016

Contributing to the Community

I recently had the privilege of getting my name added to the list of contributors of Cygwin packages. I use a program called watch to run a script that pings a group of servers and reports them as being up or down. Watch runs a program at a specified interval and prints the output to the screen.
The version that was in Cygwin was 3.2.8 and was quite old. On my Debian system, version 3.3.9 was the stable version and it supported color output. To see the server status easier, I wanted to display the text in green if the server was up and red if it was down. Such a simple thing ended up being a very rewarding and satisfying journey.
Compiling linux source code in Cygwin is quite simple and many packages already exist to make this process easier. There are packages such as cygport that automate the packaging process so you eliminate the human element as much as possible. I'm curious if this is how many other packaging systems such as Debian's or RedHat's make the process easier for their developers. I'll probably look into this next.
I built a page with bootstrap to host the files and give as much info about Procps-ng as I could to make sharing the code with the community easier.
Procps-ng
This has been a great learning experience and my fear to putting my code out into the world has been relieved quite a bit now. I hope to post some in-depth info about this process, but I'm currently working to publish my Blogger-sublime-plugin package to the package control system and that's what I'm focusing on at the moment.

1 comment: